You slap it on a hard roll, mouth watering in anticipation, and reach for the…French’s mustard?
You better not, unless you want a visit from a horde of brat lovers waving pitchforks and calling for your head.
Mustard is absolutely crucial for bratwurst — and the only condiment permitted on a brat in the eyes of many purists — but if you want the perfect brat you can’t cheap out on the mustard.
Coarse stone ground mustard is the only way to go with bratwurst but beware.
Plochman’s stone ground mustard adds horseradish for some extra zing.
Authentic stone ground mustard is just what it sounds like: whole mustard seeds are ground with a stone mill and other spices and ingredients are added.
Unlike American mustard (also simply called “yellow” mustard), stone ground mustard has a satisfying texture and pop, with the ground seeds very noticeable.
Yellow mustard has tumeric added for the bright yellow color and is processed to be a uniform consistency, with a laundry list of preservatives and chemicals added.
You’ll pay more for a quality stone ground mustard but just one bite is enough to tell the difference and that it was money well spent.
Best Stone Ground Mustard for Bratwurst Dishes
1. Inglehoffer Stone Ground Mustard
We start our first pick with a gold-medal winner stone ground mustard at the Napa Valley World Mustard Championship. It’s known as Inglehoffer Stone Ground Mustard! This spicy mustard delivers an interesting mix of preservative-free ingredients. It’s seasoned with white wine and aromatic spices that adds richness to any bratwurst dish. Whether pairing with roasted chicken, kielbasa, or cold cuts, this gourmet sauce brings a strong zesty boost of flavor.
- It goes perfectly with all types of sausage and is also perfect for flavoring salads sides;
- Stone molded aroma with white wine and zesty spices, no preservatives;
- A classic Stone Ground Mustard product;
- It’s America’s first organic Stone Ground Mustard;
- A gold-medal winner product at the Napa Valley World Mustard Championship;
- It comes in a practical and flexible bottle;
- Specialty condiments made in Oregon since 1929.
- It tastes like vinegar and too sugary;
- A little bit bland in flavor;
- Salty as it contains 50 mg of sodium;
- Some ingredients are known to cause allergic reactions; such as sodium benzoate, EDTA, high fructose corn syrup, and sodium metabisulphite;
- Somehow a costly product.
2. Plochman’s Natural Stone Ground Mustard
The classic Plochman’s Natural Stone Ground Mustard is also the best choice since It’s natural beige brown and comes with visible seeds. If you want to enjoy your smoked or boiled sausages with horseradish, you’ll love this classic Mustard.
It is hot and spicy, plus vinegar added, a tasty combination of two taste components. It is meant with vital ingredients like grade mustard seed, grated horseradish, garlic powder, onion powder, spices, salt, and natural flavoring—a Perfect Stone Ground Mustard for roast pork and stilts bratwursts. However, it does not have sugar in the ingredients, which is undesirable for the people who love sweet stone ground mustard for their bratwurst.
Though we are sure after using it once, you won’t want to eat meatloaf without Plochman’s Natural Stone Ground Mustard anymore!
- The advantage: Even cooking and grilling at a high temperature does not lose its sharpness and aroma as quickly as a finely ground product.
- 100% natural and Kosher;
- Grainy and a natural beige brown mustard;
- Very spicy horseradish mustard with a subtle blend of garlic powder, onion powder, and other spices plus natural flavoring;
- Best for smoked, grilled, roasted, and boiled bratwursts recipes;
- Comes in a decent plastic jar;
- A gold medal-winning American classic mustard especially for sausages.
- Somehow high-priced;
- Contains 60 mg sodium;
- No sweetness in taste.
3. Organicville Organic Stone Ground Mustard
The Organicville Organic Stone Ground Mustard is very famous in the list of perfect natural mustards. It also goes perfectly with all types of sausage and is also ideal for flavoring salads, sides and sauces—herbal aromatic, grainy with a wonderful taste.
This Organicville Mustard adds delicious and yummy flavors to all your favorite bratwurst-dishes. It’s aromas that you can really taste because they use superior quality ingredients. Plus, this mustard is organic and certified, vegan, gluten-free, and contains no added sugar with a great taste! Enjoy it!
- USDA organic; Gluten-Free;
- Soy-Free; Milk Free, Egg Free; Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Peanut Free, Wheat-Free;
- Less salty; it contains Sodium 55 mg;
- It contains grainy softened seeds;
- Shelf life is short due to no-preservatives;
- Not much spicy.
4. Koops’ Stone Ground Mustard
Koops’ offers you impressive Stone Ground Mustard that will go wonderfully with your bratwurst dishes. Best for stir-fries and meat to be grilled or fried for seasoning, dressings, and grilled meat. We love this old-fashioned mustard!
You have choices; you can use it as pure or as an extra marinade-kick in a hearty vinaigrette! It contains all organic ingredients and spices.
- Certified OU Kosher and Gluten-Free;
- No preservative additives;
- Spicy, delicious flavor and taste to satisfy appetite;
- Professional restaurants use this mustard for their bratwurst dishes and sides;
- A classic brand comes in an attractive jar.
- Too salty; it contains high Sodium 85 mg;
5. Sierra Nevada Popular Pale Ale & Honey Spice Stone Ground Mustard
Our next pic is one of the famous and award-winning stone mustard with a taste of goodness! Yes, Sierra Nevada Popular Pale Ale & Honey Spice Stone Ground Mustard. It is sweet and perfect for smoked, grilled, and all bratwurst dishes, sausages-sandwich, and salad-sides. This stone ground mustard is a great choice for dips and sauces.
The mustard is Gluten-free with no harmful ingredients that cause allergy. This tangy mustard goes well with a fine meatloaf; you will be surprised, and everyone will appreciate it. It’s highly aromatic, sweet mustard. Try once!
- Gluten-free, allergy-friendly;
- Sweet and tangy flavor;
- GMO-free, organically certified ;
- It comes in an attractive jar;
- Great stone-ground texture;
- Slightly vinegary;
- Salty as it contains 60 mg sodium;
- Not grainy;
6. French’s Stone Ground Dijon Mustard
If you want a yummy and perfectly balanced flavour, go with French’s Stone Ground Dijon Mustard, made with coarse mustard seeds for a rustic texture with an extra bite! It goes perfectly with the plates of cheese, cold cuts, and hearty sausages. This low-fat mustard is made with all-organic ingredients. It’s delicious dipping mustard for soft pretzels, carrots, and celery. It also goes well with most sausages, dishes, and salads.
It contains vinegar, mustard seeds, water, salt, chardonnay wine, organic spices and herbs, and natural flavor. it’s a perfect blend of classic mustard innovatively! you will love it!
- Superior-graded mustard seeds & chardonnay;
- Grainy mustard;
- gluten-free, fillers and thickeners free;
- Organic ingredients;
- Artificial-flavors-free and no high-fructose corn syrup added;
- Low-calories mustard;
- Best for Sausages, bratwurst-sandwiches, hotdogs, side-dressings, and mix;
- A classic and versatile product that is very popular in the world of sausages.
- Salty: Sodium 75 mg;
- little mild in taste;
- Somehow high in price.
7. Eden Organic Brown Mustard (Stone Ground)
If you want a pure, full flavor brown mustard with limited ingredients, then we have a very unique choice; it’s Eden Organic Brown Stone Ground Mustard. This classic canadian mustard created with the finest quality, nothing more, nothing less: just three ingredients
- Canadian whole brown organic mustard seed traditionally stone ground;
- Organic EDEN raw apple cider vinegar with ‘mother’
- EDEN sea salt.
Simple, yet adds a complex, tantalizing flavour to any of your sausages meals and sides. We love this delicious nutrient rich mustard; and so appreciate it! Go with it!
- A prestigious brand as Eden is serving since 1968;
- OCIA Certified Organic;
- non-GMO, Fat Free, Wheat Free;
- A reliable alternative to commercial food;
- Quality Ingredients:Whole Mustard Seed, Apple Cider Vinegar, Water, and organic Sea Salt;
- Tangy and spicy;
- Comes with a convenient bottle is perfect for outdoor picnics and big family dinners;
- It is fine for flavoring pork brats and other meat bratwursts;
- Too much vinegar;
- High in sodium: 80 mg;
- No sweet ingredients added; such as honey or sugar;
- Little high in price.
8. Bakol Organic Yellow Stone Ground Mustard
A renowned brand, Bakol Organic Yellow Stone Ground Mustard is Made from yellow, finely ground mustard seeds, organic distilled white vinegar, organic turmeric, organic paprika, filtered water, and sea salt. This mustard is milder on the tongue and palate and is suitable for seasoning many bratwurst dishes, Hot Dog Relish, Sandwich Spread, Salad Vinaigrette and other sides. It is something very special, indeed almost to be a little divine. It’s Gluten-free with natural spices, free from preservatives and artificial flavors. That’s why we suggest this guilt-free veg-mustard-sauce for our brat lovers!
- Free from gluten, calories, and carbohydrates;
- Suits all types of sausages dishes and sides;
- ALl natural and organic ingredients: Such as yellow mustard seeds mixed with white vinegar, turmeric, paprika, filtered water, and natural sea salt;
- Very delicious in taste:
- Certified by Oregon Tilth;
- A classic and very popular brand.
- Salty. High in sodium: 80 mg;
- No sugar added, sweet-mustard-sauce fans may not prefer it.
9. Made-With Organic Stone Ground Mustard
Made-With Stone Ground Mustard is a grainy mustard with a very particular taste. We love the aroma of its spices which complement each other wonderfully with the scent of organic vinegar. The mustard contains all organic ingredients such as grain vinegar, mustard seed, salt, natural spices; which delivers the boldest flavors with sweet and savory notes!
This delicious mustard will go well with your culinary preparations but will be greatly appreciated on your festive tables with all types of sausages! This mustard is packaged in an attractive jar and ready to use for your BBQ bratwurst party! Go with it, wherever else your imagination brings you!
- USDA Organic certified;
- A Gluten-free Non-GMO product;
- A classic and exclusive stone ground mustard for sausages, hot dog or burger.
- It contains rich minerals which are great source of calcium and magnesium;
- Good for succulent sauces and glazes;
- Goes well with grilled, smoked, BBQ bratwurst dishes and sides;
- Organic and natural ingredients and spices;
- Classic brand.
- Not much popular in comparison with Plochman’s and Inglehoffer natural stone ground mustards;
- No sweet flavour added.
10. Mustard Girl Stone Ground Deli Mustard
Our last pick for our bratwurst fans is Mustard Girl Stone Ground Deli Mustard; which isone of my favourites. Itis a grainy mustard, flavored with all natural spices and quality honey, giving it a subtle sweetness along with spicy hotness in taste. By its fairly fluid appearance, this mustard will easily enhance the taste of your sausages-food preparations.
Mustard Girl contains great natural ingredients such as, quality mustard seed, honey, distilled Vinegar, Turmeric and other spices; which give this mustard a great standard and taste. It’s an american-styled classic product; and the qualities of the product have survived the years to find their way onto your table today, intact as at the time of vintage bratwurst meals. Our recommendations!
- An american style stone ground deli mustard;
- Gluten free, Kosher;
- Low-fat with less sugar mustard;
- All natural. Contains quality mustard Seed, honey, distilled Vinegar, and other natural spices;
- No high fructose;
- Contains medium level of sodium: 65 mg;
- Some sweetness with a little fire makes it more interesting;
- Idealt for bratwurst, hot dogs, sandwiches as well as sausages dressing;
- Little bit sweet in taste;
- Packaging bottle is not much attractive;
- Not as popular as our previous picks in the bratwurst-community.
Did you know that the bright yellow colour of American mustard that we know comes not only from the seeds but also from the turmeric added to the ingredients? This spice adds a bright colour to the condiment and contributes to its taste. Well known for its health benefits, turmeric could be a highlight on an ingredient list. However, the amount in a serving of mustard is not large enough to generate any benefits.
Tips and Precautions
The aroma of mustard seed dissipates in-room heat very quickly. Mustard must therefore be kept cool and protected from light. The vinegar sometimes tends to rise to the surface. Therefore, it is necessary to stir or shake the mustard a little after a long rest.
It is advised to read labels and packaging carefully before buying any stone ground mustard product for your health purpose.
Characteristics Of Best Stone Ground Mustard
- A Good Stone Ground Mustard Should Be Natural
Well, there are varying kinds of stone ground mustards available in the market with plenty of pros and cons. However, always choose a stone ground mustard which is typically made without the sugar, fat, or preservatives; in other words, it should contain all natural and organic ingredients and spices.
- What flavor does a stone ground mustard have?
You could just say it tastes like mustard! On the palate, its flavor is light, reminiscent of nuts, then gradually rises to release all its mustard flavor and its characteristic spiciness. It leaves a subtly bitter and sweet flavor, a bittersweet taste reminiscent of pine nuts. So, check the label and packaging details to know more about the mustard seeds which are used in these prepared mustards.
- Health Benefits
There are so many good health benefits of mustard, in addition to its taste properties. So, always check nutrients values on the label or on the packaging of your desired brands; and it must be full of minerals and vitamins. So, always choose a product with the best ingredients. Though, it’s important to remember that having a small amount of stone ground mustard is key to relish the spread on the sausages, salads and sides!
- Choose A Mustard With Less Sodium
Sodium is very important in stone ground mustards, and mostly our serving size of mustard is typically a teaspoon. Having too much mustard or eating several servings with a high in sodium, we could be consuming quite a bit of sodium, and that may be dangerous to our health. So, always check sodium level on packaging as per your use routine use and food habits.
Where to Buy Stone Ground Mustard
Both mustards get amazing reviews and are award-winners at the Napa Valley Mustard Festival.
You’ll very likely go through it in no time as it’s not only great with brats but is often used on sandwiches, chicken, and as a base for vinaigrettes and other dressings.
“Buying mustard is good, using them is better.” Spread the joy and savour the best stone ground mustards with your dear and near ones; from starter to dessert in order to make the best use of the above products. Let yourself be guided, embark around the planet to cherish the different bratwurst-flavors!
A remark, a question, a tip? We would be glad by reading your comments, kind suggestions and queries!